Beijing Galloping Horse CEO Li Ming Dies at 47
The Beijing-based exec, whose firm bought Digital Domain in 2012, was felled by a sudden heart attack.
Li Ming, the 47-year-old chief executive of Beijing-based film company Galloping Horse, died suddenly of a heart attack on Thursday evening, the company announced on its official Weibo account.
The company expressed its condolences and the webpage was colored black and white for the announcement. The company made no further statements about who would be taking over.
Born into a military family in 1966, Li graduated from Beijing Broadcasting Institute in 1989 and began his career as a commercials director before founding Beijing Galloping Horse Media in 1989.
Galloping Horse is currently involved with John Woo's The Crossing, starring Zhang Ziyi, Song Hye-kyo, Takeshi Kaneshiro, Huang Xiaoming and Masami Nagasawa, which is due out toward the end of 2014.
Actors Tong Dawei, Shu Qi and Yao Chen were among those who posted notices offering condolences on their Weibo accounts.
Galloping Horse has been involved in some high-profile projects in recent years, including The Karate Kid, starring Jackie Chan, and Ning Hao's box office smash, No Man's Land. It was also involved in the highly successful TV series Three Kingdoms.
The firm has been expanding its business into the exhibition sector, building theaters in second- and third-tier cities in China.
In 2012, the company bought a 70-percent stake in the VFX firm Digital Domain for $30.2 million with India’s Reliance MediaWorks, after DD filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The firm sold it weeks later to Hong Kong's Sun Innovation Holdings Ltd for $50.5 million.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws