Ben Affleck to Be Honored at UCLA Film Festival
Shane Acker, Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and David Magee will also receive awards at the June 7-13 event.
Ben Affleck will be one of the honorees at the 22nd annual UCLA Film Festival.
Other industry heavyweights to receive honors at the June 7-13 festival include UCLA alum and filmmaker Shane Acker, film producer Lorenzo Di Bonaventura and screenwriter David Magee.
Affleck, who won an Oscar for Argo, will receive the Filmmaker of the Year award during the Directors Spotlight on June 13 at the Directors Guild of America Theater. Previous Filmmaker of the Year honorees have included Lisa Cholodenko, Lee Daniels, Brad Silberling and UCLA grads Alexander Payne and Gore Verbinski.
Acker, who has two Master's degrees from UCLA, will receive the Crystal Anvil Award on June 8 during the Festival of Animation at the James Bridges Theater. Acker's first feature-length animated film, 9, is based on his thesis film and Oscar-nominated short of the same name. He next will direct Beasts of Burden.
Di Bonaventura will be honored with the TFT-PGA Vision Award on June 11 during the Producers Marketplace portion at the Skirball Cultural Center. He was instrumental in bringing The Matrix and Harry Potter series to the big screen, and has produced franchises including RED, Transformers and G.I. Joe. His next feature, Jack Ryan, starring Chris Pine and Kevin Costner, hits theaters Christmas Day. Previous honorees have included Gale Anne Hurd, Tom Cruise, Paula Wagner, Lawrence Bender, Hawk Koch, Cathy Schulman and Mike Medavoy.
Magee will be given the Excellence in Screenwriting honor June 10 at the Writers Guild of America Theater. He was nominated for an Academy Award earlier this year for Life of Pi.
Below is the schedule for the UCLA Film Festival:
Friday, June 7: Opening Night, 7:30 p.m., James Bridges Theater, UCLA
Saturday, June 8: Festival of Animation, 5:00 p.m., 6:30 p.m., 8:00 p.m., Crystal Anvil Award presentation to Shane Acker, James Bridges Theater, UCLA
Saturday, June 8: Design Showcase West, 10 a.m. (invitation only), 2 p.m. (public review session) Freud Playhouse Stage, UCLA
Sunday, June 9: New Works Program, 12:30 p.m., 4:00 p.m., 7:00 p.m., James Bridges Theater
Monday, June 10: Screenwriters Showcase, 7:30 p.m., Excellence in Screenwriting Award presentation to David Magee, Writers Guild Theater, Beverly Hills
Tuesday, June 11: Producers Marketplace, 7:30 p.m., TFT-PGA Vision Award presentation to Lorenzo Di Bonaventura at the Skirball Cultural Center
Wednesday, June 12: TV Night, 7:30 p.m., James Bridges Theater, UCLA
Thursday, June 13: Directors Spotlight, 7:30 p.m., Filmmaker of the Year Award presentation to Ben Affleck, Directors Guild of America Theater, Los Angeles
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!