Ben Affleck Declines Run for Senate
The "Argo" director and Massachusetts native took to Facebook to comment on speculation he might run for U.S. Senate in his home state.
Ben Affleck will stick to the campaigning for Oscars, not political office.
The Argo director took to Facebook on Christmas Eve to shoot down speculation that he might run for the U.S. Senate seat in Massachusetts being vacated by John Kerry, who has been nominated by President Obama to replace Hilary Rodham Clinton as Secretary of State.
"I love Massachusetts and our political process, but I am not running for office," he wrote. "Right now it's a privilege to spend my time working with Eastern Congo Initiative (ECI), supporting our veterans, drawing attention to the great many who go hungry in the U.S. everyday and using filmmaking to entertain and foster discussion about issues like our relationship to Iran.
"We are about to get a great Secretary of State and there are some phenomenal candidates in Massachusetts for his Senate seat," the post continued. "I look forward to an amazing campaign. Happy Holidays to All."
Affleck was whispered about as a candidate for a short time after it became apparent that Kerry would receive the nomination to head up the Department of State; the speculation that he might run grew once he danced around the issue during an interview that was broadcast Sunday on Meet the Press
twitter: andyblewis, thrbooks
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'