Ben Foster in Talks to Play Lance Armstrong in Working Title's Biopic
Stephen Frears, who helmed the Oscar-winning movie "The Queen," will direct the drama.
Ben Foster is in negotiations to portray Lance Armstrong in Working Title’s untitled project on the disgraced cyclist, THR has confirmed.
Stephen Frears is directing the movie that would tell the story of Armstrong’s battle with testicular cancer in the mid-1990s to the unraveling of his image in the last several years due to the use of performance-enhancing drugs.
John Hodge, a frequent collaborator of Danny Boyle whose credits include Shallow Grave, Trainspotting and the recent Trance, wrote the script.
Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are producing.
Working Title's Armstrong project is one of at least three biopics on the cyclist (one is set up at Warner Bros., one at Paramount) but seems to be at this stage the furthest along.
The casting is a major move for Foster, an acclaimed actor who has mostly stuck to strong supporting parts or ensemble films. The actor stars in Ain’t Them Bodies Saints with Rooney Mara and Casey Affleck and is part Pete Berg’s Lone Survivor, whose cast includes Mark Wahlberg, Eric Bana, and Taylor Kitsch.
He is repped by WME.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10