Ben Sherwood Named President of ABC News
“It’s a great honor and privilege to be asked to lead this amazing news organization and I am humbled by the opportunity," he says.
Ben Sherwood has been named president of ABC News, Anne Sweeney announced Friday. Read her entire email to staff after the jump.
“Ben’s proven success in the news business, along with his entrepreneurial spirit, creativity, and keen intellect make him the ideal choice to lead ABC News into the future. His previous tenure at ABC led to the most successful seasons in GMA’s history, and his success as a bestselling author and digital entrepreneur demonstrate a unique skill set that is as valuable as it is diverse," said Sweeney, the co-chair of Disney Media Networks and president of Disney/ABC Television Group.
Said Sherwood in a statement, "It’s a great honor and privilege to be asked to lead this amazing news organization and I am humbled by the opportunity. For more than 20 years, I’ve known firsthand of the passion, excellence and integrity of the people who work for ABC News. I am thrilled to be coming back home, and look forward to harnessing our innovation and creativity to build on our great history of success.”
Former president David Westin stepped down after 13 years in September.
Sherwood has been the executive producer of Good Morning America since 2004. He was also a producer for NBC's Nightly News.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws