Ben Silverman's Electus Recruits Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson for 'The Hero'
The wrestler-turned-actor will executive produce the action-adventure series.
Ben Silverman’s Electus is developing an action-themed reality show from Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson.
The pro wrestler-turned-actor is both star and executive producer of the series, called The Hero, which has an Amazing Race-like concept: immersing ordinary people in extreme situations and testing their limits, with footage filmed in far-flung locales.
Dany Garcia will also produce The Hero with Johnson, and Electus International -- the company's global distribution arm -- plans to premiere it at the NAB Show in Las Vegas.
"Each episode will challenge contestants with difficult moral dilemmas, incredible feats of courage, and individual leadership and self-sacrifice, proving that a true hero is defined by far more than just physical strength and power," according to a news release.
In a twist, three teams will be compete on separate continents while Johnson and producers employ social-media strategies to get viewers involved on Twitter, Facebook and other tools.
"The Hero will bridge the digital and physical world on the small screen in an unmatched fashion, enabling fans to determine the fate of the show's contestants entirely through social media and on-screen decision making," Johnson said. "Dany and I can't wait to partner with Ben Silverman and his experienced colleagues at Electus to ensure that the production value of this show is at the highest level to attract the largest number of viewers worldwide."
Johnson's TV credits include appearances on Saturday Night Live, Hannah Montana, Wizards of Waverly Place and, of course, his long-time wrestling gig. His big-screen oevre is far more vast, with roles in such films as Be Cool, Get Smart, Fast Five, The Gridiron Gang, The Mummy Returns and Southland Tales.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty