Benedict Cumberbatch Announces Engagement in Old-School Way
An announcement of the 'Sherlock' star's "forthcoming marriage" to theater director Sophie Hunter appeared in The Times
Digital gasps of disappointment were heard across the Twittersphere Wednesday following the news that Benedict Cumberbatch had announced his engagement.
On Wednesday, an ad appeared in the classified section of British newspaper The Times, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corp, announcing the "forthcoming marriage" of a Mr. B.T. Cumberbatch and Miss S.I. Hunter.
The ad in full reads: "The engagement is announced between Benedict, son of Wanda and Timothy Cumberbatch of London, and Sophie, daughter of Katherine Hunter of Edinburgh and Charles Hunter of London."
Cumberbatch's rep confirmed the news, saying, "I am delighted to confirm that Benedict Cumberbatch and Sophie Hunter are engaged." The Sherlock star is believed to have been dating theater director Hunter for several months, having first been spotted together in June.
Heart breaking news... Benedict Cumberbatch is engaged. Thought I had a chance. Will have to settle for his calendar. pic.twitter.com/90odrt7zFR— Kirsty MacLeod (@KirstyMacLeod4) November 5, 2014
Speaking to The Hollywood Reporter for a cover story last year, Cumberbatch discussed the differences between himself and his Sherlock Holmes character when it came to relationships.
"I don’t have his capacity to compartmentalize," he said. "I’m now haunted with, ‘But he did want children, and now he doesn’t? What’s gone wrong? Is he gay? Can’t he commit to relationship?’ All this speculative shit. There’s a point where I just go, ‘I’ve said all I have to say.' "
Many on Twitter applauded Cumberbatch for taking the old-fashioned route of announcing his marriage via a newspaper.
Nov. 5, 8:56 a.m.: Updated to include Cumberbatch's rep's statement to The Hollywood Reporter