Berlin 2013: Cinedigm, Voltage Pictures Ink 3-Year, 5-Picture Deal With New Label Rapid Eye Film
Marco Weber's genre label will develop, finance and produce the films, while Cinedigm will give a U.S. theatrical release and Voltage will handle international sales.
On the eve of the Berlin Film Festival, Cinedigm and Voltage Pictures have inked a three-year, five-picture output deal with new genre label Rapid Eye Film.
Founded by producer-turned-director Marco Weber (Igby Goes Down, The Thirteenth Floor, Unthinkable, The Informers), Rapid Eye will develop, finance and produce the films, and Cinedigm will facilitate a U.S. theatrical release and subsequent rollout across on-demand, digital, TV and DVD platform.
Nic Chartier’s Voltage Pictures (The Hurt Locker, Don Jon’s Addiction) will handle international sales on the five films.
The sci-fi thriller Unraveling marks the first film under the pact. Weber will direct the film from a screenplay he penned. He also is producing alongside Vanessa Coifman (A Late Quartet) and Miggel Schwickerath (The Informers). Unraveling, which is currently casting, will shoot in Los Angeles in the spring.
"Marco and I have a long and successful history, going back to Igby Goes Down," said Cinedigm chairman and CEO Chris McGurk. "And, we are thrilled to work with Nic and his team at Voltage to bring these exciting new films to the worldwide marketplace."
Added Chartier: "We loved the script of Unraveling and wanted to be involved with Marco on this one and his next movies. Cinedigm is growing very fast and having a U.S. distributor on the films will be great for all our international partners."
Additionally, Cinedigm acquired digital distribution rights in the United States and a number of territories for Weber’s directorial debut, Leashed. The dark teen thriller, which premiered at the Sitges Film Festival in competition, stars Gia Mantegna, Devon Werkheiser and Chad Lowe.
Email: Tatiana.Siegel@THR.com, Twitter: @TatianaSiegel27
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kristen Bell Stuns In Pink Gown With Thigh-High Slit At 'Veronica Mars' Premiere
- Jennifer Lopez Rocks Neon Skinny Jeans On 'American Idol' Set
- Khloe Kardashian Wows In Curve-Hugging Dress At Miami Dash Opening
- Mindfulness in Everyday Life -- So You Want to Be Famous? What You Need to Know About Celebrity
- Amazon Is Raising the Price of Amazon Prime
- Lars’s Real Girl: Charlotte Gainsbourg on Fame, Nymphomaniac, and Working With von Trier
- Edelstein on Le Week-End: Unbelievably Marvelous, in Light of Its Depressing Trajectory
- Ebiri: If Need for Speed Were a Silent Movie, It Would Be the Most Amazing Racing Movie Ever