Berlin 2013: Magnolia Takes 'Pioneer' for U.S.
The Norwegian thriller features "Headhunters" star Aksel Hennie and Wes Bentley from "The Hunger Games."
BERLIN - Just days after acquiring Lars von Trier's Nymphomaniac, Magnolia Pictures has snatched up its second Scandinavian title out of Berlin, picking up the Norwegian thriller Pioneer from sales group TrustNordisk.
The feature is set in in early 1980s, shortly after huge oil and gas deposits are discovered in the North Sea off the Norwegian coast. An oil rush follows with plans to build a pipeline along the sea floor, more than 1,600 feet deep. Pioneer follows Petter (Headhunters star Aksel Hennie), a professional diver obsessed with being the first to reach the bottom of the Norwegian Sea before a tragic accident changes everything. The film also stars Wes Bentley (The Hunger Games) and Stephen Lang (Avatar).
Pioneer is produced by Headhunters producer Christian Fredrik Martin of Friland Film. The deal was negotiated between Magnolia's SVP of Acquisitions, Dori Begley and Director of Acquisitions, Peter van Steemburg and TrustNordisk's CEO, Rikke Ennis and Head of Sales, Susan Wendt.
Magnolia picked up Pioneer following a buyers-only screening of a promo in Berlin.
Magnolia released Headhunters stateside last year, where it grossed $1.2 million in theatrical release.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed