Berlin: Beta's Market Mix-Tape With 'Physician,' Competition Titles 'Jack' and 'Stations'
The German sales outfit combines tentpoles and arthouse drama in its 2014 EFM line-up.
German sales group Beta Cinema is pitching both high and low in the run-up to the European Film Market, which kicks off Feb. 6 alongside the Berlin International Film Festival. The Munich-based outfit has a 2014 line-up that includes tentpole feature The Physician – which has earned more than $40 million in Germany and Spain – alongside hard-hitting German dramas Stations of the Cross and Jack, both of which are in Berlin's official competition.
The Physician, directed by Philipp Stolzl based on the Noah Gordon's best-seller and starring Ben Kingsley, Stellan Skarsgard and Tom Payne, has sold more than 3 million tickets in Germany alone and has been a hit in Austria and Spain. The medieval adventure epic bows in Russia Feb. 6.
On the other end of the scale is Dietrich Brueggemann’s Stations of the Cross, a harrowing tale of a young girl's religious faith. The feature will have its world premiere in Berlin, alongside Edward Berger’s Jack, a rough coming-of-age story.
Also on Beta's slate is Stereo, a crime thriller from German director Maximilian Erlenwein featuring local stars Jurgen Vogel and Moritz Bleibtreu, which Wild Bunch will bow in Germany and which has a special gala screening in Berlin's Panorama sidebar.
Other market titles Beta will be unspooling at the EFM include the kids franchise The Famous Five 1-3, based on the novels by Enid Blyton, the tragicomedy Back on Track from director Kilian Riedhof and Global Player, a tongue-in-cheek look at the future of German prosperity from Berlin Calling director Hannes Stohr.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park