Berlin: Colin Farrell, Rachel Weisz to Star in 'The Lobster'
The project marks the English-language debut of Oscar-nominated Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos and will be sold during the EFM in Berlin.
LONDON – Colin Farrell and Rachel Weisz will lead the cast for Oscar-nominated Greek director Yorgos Lanthimos' English-language debut, The Lobster.
The movie will be hawked to buyers by Protagonist Pictures during the upcoming European Film Market in Berlin.
The movie is scheduled to begin shooting March 24 in Ireland.
Farrell and Weisz join Ben Whishaw, Lea Seydoux, Olivia Colman, Ariane Labed and Aggeliki Papoulia.
Co-written by Lanthimos and his longtime collaborator, Efthymis Filippou, the film is billed as an unconventional love story set in a dystopian future where finding a partner is a matter of life or death.
It is being produced by Element Pictures, Limp and Scarlet Films.
Producers on the film are Lanthimos, Lee Magiday, Ed Guiney and Ceci Dempsey, with Element’s Andrew Lowe acting as executive producer.
Partnering on the project are Christos V. Konstantakopoulos of Faliro House in Greece, Carole Scotta of France's Haut et Court (who will be both the French co-producer and distributor of the film), and Derk-Jan Warrink, Joost de Vries and Leontine Petit of Lemming Films in the Netherlands.
The film is bankrolled by the British Film Institute's movie fund, the Irish Film Board, Eurimages, Greek Film Centre, CNC and the Dutch Film Fund.
Lanthimos said: "I’m very grateful to have the opportunity to work with such great actors. Their contribution to our film will enrich and expand the world we are trying to create and explore. Furthermore our team of old and new collaborators makes me very confident and excited to start making this film.”
Farrell, a Golden Globe winner for In Bruges, was recently seen in Disney’s Saving Mr Banks and is the star of Akiva Goldsman’s upcoming Winter’s Tale for Warner Bros.
In post-production are Miss Julie, in which he co-stars with Jessica Chastain for director Liv Ullmann, and Solace, Afonso Poyart’s supernatural thriller in which he stars with Anthony Hopkins.
Weisz won an Oscar and a Golden Globe for her turn in The Constant Gardener.
Her credits also include box-office blockbusters The Mummy, The Bourne Legacy and Oz the Great and Powerful.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack