Berlin: Ethiopian Drama 'Difret,' Gay Doc 'The Circle' Win Panorama
Angelina Jolie exec produced Zeresenay Berhane Mehari's debut about the kidnapping of a rural Ethiopian girl.
Difret, the debut feature from Ethiopian filmmaker Zeresenay Berhane Mehari, has won the prize for best fiction film screening in the Panorama section of the Berlin International Film Festival.
Angelina Jolie was an executive producer on the drama, which looks at the kidnapping of a young girl in rural Ethiopia. Difret had its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival. It won the top prize at the Panorama Audience Awards, which are voted on by ordinary Berlinale cinema-goers.
The Panorama Audience Award for best documentary this year went to the Swiss docudrama The Circle, the story of the rise of Europe's first gay rights group in Switzerland. The film, from director Stefan Haupt, also won the Berlinale's Teddy Award for best film highlighting LGBT themes.
Some 31,000 moviegoers cast their votes for the Audience Award this year.
Second place in the fiction category went to the Brazilian feature The Way He Looks from director Daniel Ribeiro with Tinatin Kajrishvili's Georgian-set Brides taking third.
In the documentary section, Finding Vivian Maier, John Maloof and Charlie Siskel's documentary about the acclaimed street photographer, took second prize and My Mother, a War and Me from Tamara Trampe and Johann Feindt, came third.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!