Berlin: Ethiopian Drama 'Difret,' Gay Doc 'The Circle' Win Panorama
Angelina Jolie exec produced Zeresenay Berhane Mehari's debut about the kidnapping of a rural Ethiopian girl.
Difret, the debut feature from Ethiopian filmmaker Zeresenay Berhane Mehari, has won the prize for best fiction film screening in the Panorama section of the Berlin International Film Festival.
Angelina Jolie was an executive producer on the drama, which looks at the kidnapping of a young girl in rural Ethiopia. Difret had its premiere at the Sundance Film Festival. It won the top prize at the Panorama Audience Awards, which are voted on by ordinary Berlinale cinema-goers.
The Panorama Audience Award for best documentary this year went to the Swiss docudrama The Circle, the story of the rise of Europe's first gay rights group in Switzerland. The film, from director Stefan Haupt, also won the Berlinale's Teddy Award for best film highlighting LGBT themes.
Some 31,000 moviegoers cast their votes for the Audience Award this year.
Second place in the fiction category went to the Brazilian feature The Way He Looks from director Daniel Ribeiro with Tinatin Kajrishvili's Georgian-set Brides taking third.
In the documentary section, Finding Vivian Maier, John Maloof and Charlie Siskel's documentary about the acclaimed street photographer, took second prize and My Mother, a War and Me from Tamara Trampe and Johann Feindt, came third.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram