Berlin: 'Hansel and Gretel & the 420 Witch' Sells for Japan, Scandinavia
Jinga Films inks multiple territories for pot-smoking take on the Grimm fairy tale.
On the eve of the European Film Market, Jinga Films signed multiple deals for its horror comedy Hansel and Gretel & The 420 Witch (aka Hansel & Gretel Get Baked), inking with Medallion Films for Japan and Njuta Films for Scandinavia.
Alder Entertainment in Italy has already picked up rights to the feature starring Molly Quinn, Lara Flynn Boyle, Michael Welch and Cary Elwes and will roll out the film there later this year. Other buyers include Peppermint in Germany, Pinnacle in Australia and Thanks & Love in Korea. Directed by Duane Journey and produced by Mark Morgan (Twilight), the plot of the film has a pot-growing witch (Boyle) who lures teenagers to their doom with the promise of the best bud in town. The project has been making the rounds of the film markets for some time now but is apparently finally gaining traction with distributors.
“It has taken a bit of time for buyers to realize that Hansel and Gretel & the 420 Witch is much more than just a mockbuster” said Jinga's Rosana Coutinho. “The credentials of the film's cast and crew combined with its zany, off-center take on a classic fairy tale should give distributors the ammunition they need to find a viable theatrical and TV audience.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!