Berlin: Hong Kong's Edko Films to Offer Next Ann Hui Feature
A biopic set in 1930s China, "The Golden Era" stars Tang Wei as one of the country's most influential female literary figures.
Edko Films will offer celebrated Hong Kong director Ann Hui's latest feature, The Golden Era, as part of its slate for the upcoming European Film Market, kicking off Feb. 6 alongside the Berlin International Film Festival.
Starring Tang Wei (Lust, Caution) and Feng Shaofeng (Young Detective Dee), The Golden Era will be making its market debut at EFM. Set in 1930s China, the film is described as an epic journey chronicling the obscure life of Xiao Hong, one of the most influential female writers in modern Chinese literature. The literary biopic will be buttressed at home by the star power of Tang and Feng. Tang's latest role was in romantic comedy Finding Mr. Right, which pulled in $85.7 million to become the the seventh highest grossing film at the Chinese box office in 2013. Feng most recently appeared in Young Detective Dee, the fifth highest grossing film in China last year at $98.77 million. Hui's last feature, A Simple Life, starring Andy Lau, debuted in competition at the 2012 Venice Film Festival, where it won four awards, including the best actress honor for Deanie Ip.
Edko will also be pitching police action hit, Firestorm, to buyers in Berlin. The Andy Lau genre vehicle opened at number one in China and Hong Kong in December, taking $27 million in its first four days of release in the mainland.
Also on Edko's slate is Horseplay from director Lee Chi Ngai. Now in post-production, the rom-com caper is set in Prague and stars Tony Leung Ka Fai as a washed-out detective pursuing a priceless antique with the help of an attractive young reporter played by Kelly Chen (Infernal Affairs).
Other market titles Edko will screen for buyers in Berlin include: Rise Of The Legend, a Hong Kong period action flick from Chow Hin Yeung; Kiki's Delivery Service, a live-action adaptation of a Japanese children's book, directed by Shimizu Takashi; and the recently released Chinese dramedy, Up in the Wind, about a young food writer (played by Ni Ni, Flowers of War) on a journey of self discovery in Nepal.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sandra Bullock's Stylist Elizabeth Stewart Awarded THR's Top Stylist Ranking!
- Emma Watson Begins 'Noah' Press Tour, Premieres Film in Berlin!
- Kanye West & Jay Z Perform 'Otis,' 'Gotta Have It' & More at SXSW - Watch Now!
- 'Two & a Half Men,' 'Good Wife' & Many Others Renewed By CBS, 'Crazy Ones,' Left Off List