Berlin 2013: 'Broken Circle Breakdown,' 'Act of Killing' Win Audience Honors
"Broken Circle" was named best fiction film, while "Killing" won best documentary in the festival's Panorama Audience Awards.
BERLIN -- Belgian drama The Broken Circle Breakdown and documentary The Act of Killing have won this year's Panorama Audience Awards at the Berlin International Film Festival.
The Berlin public voted in force for Felix van Groeningen's Broken Circle Breakdown as best fiction film in this year's Panorama lineup. The drama focuses on the love story between two very different people -- one a religious realist, the other a romantic atheist -- whose love and faith is tested when their daughter is diagnosed with a terminal illness.
The Act of Killing from Texas-born, Denmark-based director Joshua Oppenheimer is a ground-breaking documentary which sheds light on an almost forgotten atrocity: the state-sponsored mass execution of Indonesian communists and other dissidents following the failed coup of September 1965.
In a brazen move, Oppenheimer has the former death-squad bosses -- who remain unpunished and unapologetic about their crimes -- reenact their killings on screen in their favorite cinema genres. The result so impressed Errol Morris and Werner Herzog that they both came on board as executive producers of the film.
The Broken Circle Breakdown and The Act of Killing will receive their Panorama Audience honors at a ceremony on Sunday.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'