Berlin: Silver Bear Winner 'Stations of the Cross' Sells Across Europe
Dietrich Brueggemann’s drama about a young girl's struggle with faith won the best screenplay honor at the Berlin Film Festival.
Stations of the Cross, the harrowing religious drama from German director Dietrich Brueggemann, which won the Silver Bear for best screenplay at the Berlin International Film Festival, has been snatched up by distributors across Europe.
Arrow Film in the U.K., France's Memento, Satine Film in Italy, Caramel in Spain, Wildbunch in Benelux, Vendetta Films in Portugal and Scandinavian distributor Nonstop are among the indie buyers that took theatrical rights to the feature from sales group Beta Cinema. Beta says it also has strong interest from the U.S. and Australia for the title.
Beta also reported strong sales for its other Berlinale competition entry, Edward Berger's social drama Jack, which sold to France (Diaphana), Japan (Showgate), Norway (Europa Films), Hungary (Circo) and Greece (Strada).
Among finished films, Beta signed with Germany's Piffl, Contracorriente in Spain and Bitters End in Japan for Uberto Pasolini’s Still Life while closing further deals for Georg Maas' Oscar-nominated Two Lives in Australia/New Zealand (Rialto), Spain (Karma), Portugal (Films4You), Brazil (Esfera Films) and Colombia (Cineplex). Other strong sellers included Bernard Rose's period drama The Devil's Violinist starring virtuoso David Garrett – which sold across much of South America and for Australia -- and children's film Famous Five III, which closed for Spain and Benelux. Berlinale Panorama entry Stereo from German director Maximilian Erlenwein, Philipp Stoelzl's period epic The Physician and Hungarian drama Le Grand Cahier all notched up new territory sales.
Walter, an in-production feature from director Anna Mastro featuring William H. Macy and Virginia Madsen, was sold on script basis by Beta to Korea (Cinema Republic) and Turkey (Codex).
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)