Berlin 2013: K5 Offers 'Venus and Serena' Tennis Doc to Buyers
The U.K. and German banner picks up international sales duties for the project, which made its world premiere at the Toronto film festival.
U.K. and German sales and finance banner K5 International has boarded Maiken Baird and Michelle Major’s controversial documentary Venus and Serena.
Baird and Major’s film follows the emergence and rise of tennis’ most formidable and successful siblings, Venus and Serena Williams.
Billed as offering a rare opportunity to leap the often media-controlled environment of the living sports legends, Venus and Williams offers unprecedented access to their lives, both in the spotlight and behind closed doors.
The movie world-premiered in Toronto with the sisters lined up to attend. But at the last minute, they pulled out, withdrawing support for the film amid rumors that they disagreed with the way in which their father was portrayed in it.
It explores how the sisters draw their greatest strength from one another and overcome adversity, including life- and career-threatening health problems, personal tragedy and media controversy.
Directed by Baird and Major, the film is exec produced by Oscar-winning filmmaker Alex Gibney.
The movie's music is by Grammy award-winning musician Wyclef Jean.
Daniel Baur negotiated the deal for K5 International and John Sloss for Cinetic.
K5 International is handling international sales for the film. Cinetic is handling North American sales.
"We first sat down with K5 at the Doha Film Festival and were taken by their enthusiasm for each of the films they had chosen to represent,” said directors Baird and Major. "It is clear that K5’s high standards require remarkable stories and subjects along with original and outstanding storytelling. It is clear that when they choose a film, it is more than just a title to sell, it is a film for which they have a passion to share with audiences worldwide."
Said K5 co-founders Oliver Simon and Baur: "There are sports documentaries and then there are stories of such bravery and the ability to overcome adversity that make this film almost unbelievable. These girls are world champions for a number of very good reasons!"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical