Bernal takes 'Mammoth' for Moodysson
COLOGNE, Germany -- Mexican star Gael Garcia Bernal will star in "Mammoth," the English-language debut from Swedish director Lukas Moodysson.
"Mammoth" is a domestic drama revolving around a young couple, their child and their Filipino nanny, played by Filipino actress Marife Necisito. Casting for the other roles is under way.
Moodysson, director of the critically acclaimed features "Show Me Love," "Together" and "Lilya 4-ever," plans to shoot "Mammoth" in Sweden, New York, Thailand and the Philippines.
The film is a co-production among Sweden's Memfis Film, Denmark's Zentropa Entertainment and Zentropa's new German outpost, Zentropa Berlin.
Funding will come from a patchwork of subsidy bodies in Sweden, Germany and Denmark as well as from the Eurimages fund.
Zentropa's Peter Aalbaek Jensen and director Lars von Trier will produce "Mammoth" along with Zentropa Berlin managing director Maria Kopf. Danish sales group Trust Film, under new CEO Rikke Ennis, will handle international sales.
Bernal is shooting Fernando Meirelles' literary adaptation "Blindness" alongside Julianne Moore.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills