Bernie Madoff's Daughter-in-law Reveals She'd 'Spit in His Face' During '20/20' Interview
In the ABC News sit-down, widow Stephanie Madoff Mack slams the fallen patriarch, who she blames for her husband's suicide.
Ten months after her husband, Mark Madoff, hanged himself in their New York City apartment, Stephanie Madoff Mack is opening up about his death and how his father Bernie Madoff is to blame.
The daughter-in-law of the jailed Ponzi schemer, who perpetrated the largest financial scam in U.S. history, appears in an interview with Chris Cuomo during the Oct. 21 episode of 20/20. It marks the first interview given by a member of the family since Madoff's 2008 arrest.
"I hate Bernie Madoff," she says. "If I saw Bernie Madoff right now, I would tell him that I hold him fully responsible for killing my husband, and I'd spit in his face."
Mack, who penned the book The End of Normal: A Wife's Anguish, A Widow's New Life, also reveals that her husband had previously tried to kill himself before his December 2010 death.
She claims he checked into a hotel and swallowed 60 sleeping and anti-anxiety pills in the fall of 2009. The combination only left him groggy and incoherent, but he wrote a note that read: "Bernie, now you know how you have destroyed the lives of your sons by your life of deceit. F--- you."
"He couldn't get out," she says. "He was so betrayed and so hurt by Bernie."
Mark and his surviving brother Andrew turned their father in when he confessed to them that their $65 billion Wall Street firm, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities, was a house of cards. But this never stopped the rest of the Madoff clan from bearing much of the public scorn.
"We were being treated as if we had done something wrong," says Mack. "And we had done nothing wrong."
In addition to the episode of 20/20, Mack is also scheduled to appear on Good Morning America Friday morning.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game