Filmmaker Bert Tenzer Dies at 86
He wrote, produced and directed the 1969 comedy "2000 Years Later" and later founded a chain of video stories.
Bert Tenzer, who wrote, produced and directed the quirky 1969 comic fantasy 2000 Years Later, died Aug. 29 of cancer at his Malibu home. He was 86.
2000 Years Later, distributed by Warner Bros. after execs saw the finished film, starred John Abbott as a citizen of ancient Rome who is transported to the 20th century to warn America about its decline and imminent fall. Terry-Thomas and Edward Everett Horton also starred.
In her review for New York magazine, the influential critic Judith Crist wrote that the movie "has distillations of La Dolce Vita [and] Dr. Strangelove" and urged moviegoers to see it.
A native of Long Beach, N.Y., Tenzer later wrote, produced and directed the 1973 documentary Free, with performances by Jimi Hendrix, Dr. John and Janis Joplin, and helmed another documentary, 1977's The Day the Music Died.
When the VCR became popular in the 1980s, Tenzer built a Malibu-based chain of more than 1,000 stores across the country called The Video Connection. Some of his stores featured a "Viditheatre," a small viewing area for patrons to sit, watch films and buy popcorn. He also founded a company called Advanced Video Robotics, which made machines to dispense videocassettes.
Survivors include his wife Regina and sons Scott and Keith.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!