Beyonce's Bootyliciousness Inspires Name of Newly Discovered Bug
A horse fly found in Australia has been dubbed “Scaptia (Plinthina) beyonceae” in honor of its golden backside.
“Bootylicious” -- a term made famous by Beyonce and her Destiny’s Child counterparts -- is no longer exclusive to the human species.
Thanks to a 24-year-old researcher at Australia’s Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization, the term now applies to insects, as well. A newly discovered horse fly in the land down under has been named in honor of its golden rear-end, according to the Associated Press. Captured in 1981, the birth year of Beyonce Knowles, the fly has been dubbed Scaptia (Plinthina) beyonceae.
Bryan Lessard, the researcher responsible for naming the “pretty bootylicious” insect, said that Beyonce would be “in the nature history books forever.” Lessard added that he has not heard from the Grammy award-winning singer, but that he hopes she takes his gesture as a compliment. He also admitted that the name was partly chosen to draw attention to the importance of his field.
“It’s extremely important to name all the undescribed species so we can measure our human impact on the environment and hopefullyprotect it for future generations to enjoy,” he said.
Beyonce is currently busy adjusting to her new life as a mom, as she and husband Jay-Z welcomed their fist child, a girl named Blue Ivy, earlier this month.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack