VMAs: Beyonce and Kanye West Among Top Moments on Social Media
Rihanna's performance and acceptance of this year's Video Vanguard Award also generated a great deal of social-media conversation, as did Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj's performance and appearances.
Beyonce's epic performance of several tracks off of her Lemonade visual album was the most talked-about moment from Sunday night's VMAs on Facebook and Twitter. Her performance received the most engagement on Facebook of any moment from this year's show and the end of her performance was the most-tweeted moment of the night worldwide, from the period spanning three hours before and during the broadcast.
Kanye West debuting his new video for "Fade" was the second most-tweeted moment, with his speech defending "Famous" and calling out ex-girlfriend Amber Rose coming in as the fourth most-tweeted moment. Meanwhile, video of West's speech and him debuting "Fade" received the second-most engagement for VMA content on Facebook last night.
Rihanna placed third on both Facebook and Twitter but for different moments. On Facebook, her opening performance, the first of four during the show, received the third-most engagement. On Twitter, Rihanna accepting her Video Vanguard Award was the third most-tweeted moment. Meanwhile, Rihanna's second performance was the No. 5 Twitter moment of the show.
The most tweeted people of the night were Beyonce, Rihanna, West, Drake and Fifth Harmony.
Things were a bit different on Instagram, where the most-liked VMA photos, as of Monday 8 a.m. ET, were mostly shots of Beyonce, Rihanna and Minaj, but the pictures were more family and fashion photos than performance shots. Meanwhile, on Instagram, the most viral videos were topped by Grande and Minaj's duet, followed by a boomerang clip of Simone Biles and G-Eazy, which the Olympic gymnast posted on Instagram, and clips from inside the Marc Jacobs/Dennis Leopold VMA video portrait booth.
Read on to see the most popular moments on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
Top VMA moments on Facebook:
1. Beyonce performs “Lemonade”
2. Kanye West takes the stage and debuts “Fade”
3. Rihanna's opening performance
4. Britney Spears and G-Eazy perform
5. Nicki Minaj and Ariana Grande perform “Side to Side”
Most tweeted moments of the night (globally, three hours before and during the broadcast):
1. @Beyonce finishes performing "Lemonade"
2. @KanyeWest shows his new video for "Fade"
3. @Rihanna accepts the Video Vanguard Award
4. @KanyeWest gives speech about "Famous" video, says “I see you, Amber” to Amber Rose (@DaRealAmberRose) in the crowd
5. @Rihanna performs for the second time of the night
Most tweeted about people of the night (globally, three hours before and during the broadcast):
The most liked Instagram MTV VMA photos (as of Monday, Aug. 29, 8 a.m. ET):
1. Beyonce and Blue Ivy. (1.9 million likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrDzwWhSTe
2. Blue Ivy (1.6 million likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrFVYyBov2
3. Ariana Grande (1.1 million likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrFxxiAhss
4. Beyonce and a shot of her dress (1.1 million likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrDyvXhWzo
5. Beyonce prepping her hair for the show (885k likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrD2uOBTj0
6. Nicki Minaj and a shot of her dress (885k likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJq_BsaBrKX
7. Rihanna performance (776k likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrLJ1YD3ns
8. Ariana Grande performance (720k likes): https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrJURfg95O
Most viral Instagram videos:
· Ariana Grande / Nicki Minaj: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJqSCLGA5NT/
· Simone Biles and G-Eazy: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrd7WTjPXx/
· Fifth Harmony inside of the Marc Jacobs / Dennis Leopold VMA video portrait booth: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrb9Qwg-xP/
· Bebe Rexha & Tove Lo in the Marc Jacobs / Dennis Leupold VMA video portrait booth : https://www.instagram.com/p/BJq4vOsBatZ/?taken-by=beberexha
· U.S. Gymnastics team in the Marc Jacobs / Dennis Leupold VMA video portrait booth: https://www.instagram.com/p/BJrW4NngmO_/