Beyonce’s 'Love on Top' Video Inspired By New Edition's 'If It Isn’t Love' (Video)
After dealing with a stolen choreography accusation for her last video, Beyonce debuted her fifth single off the album "4", stating that it's based on her "favorite male groups."
Beyonce’s last video, "Countdown," was met with harsh criticism from some when it appeared that the video took moves from a Belgian choreographer.
Perhaps to move on from the recent controversy, Beyonce debuted a video for her single “Love on Top.” This time, she introduced the video with a clear statement that it took inspiration from another music video.
Beyonce, who debuted the video in Australia, posted on her website that her own video was inspired by her favorite male groups. “I remember seeing videos from New Edition, The Jackson 5 and the Temptations, bands I love for their beautiful harmonies, and precise choreography and I always wanted to make a video and be part of a boy group myself,” she wrote.
It’s pretty clear that the video for “Love on Top” is based on New Edition's “If It Isn’t Love” video, which involved the group dancing in front of mics, with large windows lighting them from behind.
Beyonce performed “Love on Top” at the MTV Music Video Awards in August, showing off her baby bump after announcing her pregnancy on the carpet that night.
In the new video for the single, however, Beyonce is looking much less pregnant. Dancing and singing in a tight black leotard, Beyonce is backed up by a group of fit-looking male dancers for most of the video. About halfway through, the group switches to shiny gold outfits, and then white and grey suits. Finally, the group ends in formal tuxes, although Beyonce has a hard time keeping her pants on until the end.
“Love on Top” is the fifth single of her album 4. About two weeks ago, Beyonce released the video for “Countdown” in which her growing belly can be seen in a series of skintight outfits.
The video for “Countdown” came under scrutiny when it was pointed out that video had striking similarities to choreography by Belgian choreographer Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker.
“I brought Beyoncé a number of references and we picked some out together,” Adria Petty, co-director of the music video, told MTV News. “Most were German modern-dance references, believe it or not. But it really evolved.” Petty says the “Countdown” video pays homage to several icons, such as Audrey Hepburn and the Supremes.
Beyonce is pregnant with her first child with husband Jay-Z. She is due in February.
Watch New Edition’s “If It Isn’t Love” video below:
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)