Beyonce's Baby Announcement Breaks Twitter Record
The singer revealed her pregnancy at Sunday's MTV VMAs.
Beyonce's big news didn't just grab headlines Sunday, it broke records.
The singer announced that she is expecting her first child with husband Jay-Z while walking the red carpet at the MTV Video Music Awards August 28, sparking a Twitter frenzy after MTV tweeted "OMG Beyonce just made a huge announcement on the #vma carpet! #baby!!!!!"
During the show, Beyonce cleared up any doubt, telling the audience "I want you to feel the love that growing inside of me," before a performance of her new song, "Love on Top." And, making no show of subtlety, she then ended the song by unbuttoning her blazer and rubbing her baby belly.
Viewers took notice. Twitter's official global PR feed, Twitter Comms @TwitterGlobalPR tweeted Monday that the baby news broke a site record at 10:35 PM EST, with 8,868 tweets per second (TPS). The most TPS ever recorded for a single event.
The previous record (7,196 TPS) was made in July during the final moments of the Women's World Cup final in which the U.S. women's soccer team lost to Japan during the last seconds of the game in a penalty shootout, reports TechCrunch.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR