'Big Lebowski' Cast Talks Sequel, Stoner Foods at Blu-ray Release Event
Jeff Bridges also leads the crowd in a hymnal-like chant, while Steve Buscemi tell them to shut up, quoting a famous line from the movie.
Big Lebowski die-hards were out in full force for the biggest event in Lebowski Fest history: the release of the cult classic on Blu-Ray and a live Q&A with its stars.
Jeff Bridges, Steve Buscemi, John Goodman, Julianne Moore and the film's music director, T Bone Burnett, were on hand at New York's Hammerstein Ballroom to share memories of shooting the Coen brothers' beloved comedy.
During the event, Bridges led the crowd in a hymnal-like chant, while Buscemi joked, "You shut the f--- up," quoting a famous line from the film.
The movie has garnered a cult following since its release in 1998, with the annual Lebowski Fest launching in 2002 in Louisville, Ky., and since expanding to other cities.
At Tuesday night's event, Goodman told The Hollywood Reporter he believes there are several reasons the movie is so beloved.
"I think it’s the script, it’s the perfect storm of casting, the plot certainly doesn’t stink," he said. "I guess people just like to get high and watch it. That’s all I can tell you."
Moore attributes the movie's lasting popularity to the title character, unemployed slacker-stoner and avid bowler Jeffrey Lebowski (Bridges), aka the Dude.
"He’s a great hero, the Dude," she told THR. "He allows everybody in, in a way. If movies are about projecting yourself onto a situation, I think everybody can enter the Dude."
Moore -- who said the favorite quote she hears over and over from fans is, "I'll suck your c--- for $1,000" -- added that she would be up for a sequel should the Coens decide to make one, and she thinks the rest of the cast would too. (The Coens shot down the idea that they have plans for a follow-up after co-star Tara Reid announced in an interview.)
Asked what a sequel might be titled, she quipped: "The Big Lebowski 2."
Meanwhile, Burnett told THR that he knows which recording artist he'd like to perform the theme song to a sequel.
"I like Janelle Monae," he said. "I’d get her to do [an original track]."
Meanwhile, Goodman and Moore also weighed in on the top "stoner foods."
Said Moore: "I think it’s very individual. I think some people like creamy and some people like crunchy."
And Goodman's answer: "I don’t smoke. It makes me so scared. The last time I smoked I threw up. So whatever I ate before I threw up -- probably Chinese."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game