Bigpoint Buys Sports Games Specialist 49Games
The German deal marks Bigpoint's fourth takeover this year.
COLOGNE, Germany - German online games giant Bigpoint has bought Hamburg-based development studio 49Games, the developer of several top-selling sports titles, including Winter Sports 2011 - Go for Gold.
The 49Games team will now develop games solely for Bigpoint's online and mobile platforms.
Financial details of the deal were not disclosed.
This is the fourth major takeover by Bigpoint this year. The company develops and distributes free-to-play games such as Battlestar Gallactica and Zoomumba played on Internet browsers and makes its money - $17.5 million profit in 2009 - by charging users for extras that assist game play.
Bigpoint is flush with cash after equity groups Summit Partners and TA Associates paid $350 million for a 67 percent stake in the Hamburg-based firm earlier this year.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR