Billy Ray Cyrus Cancels Media Tour After 'GQ' Remarks; 'I'm Mending My Family'
One week after an interview in which he criticized the show for "destroying his family" was published, he says he's sorting through "very important family issues."
Billy Ray Cyrus is apologizing for saying that his daughter Miley's former Disney show Hannah Montana "destroyed" his family.
Cyrus tells People magazine those statements, made in the latest issue of GQ, are "explosive, and and unintentionally so."
Consequently, he has backed out of scheduled TV appearances on ABC's The View and Good Morning America this week.
"It is very important to me to work on mending my family right now," Cyrus tells People.
"My family is the most important thing I have, and we are working together to make sure our future is stronger and healthier," he goes on. "It is all a learning process, and we thank everyone for their support and respect of our privacy as we sort through very important family issues."
Asked by GQ if he wished the show never happened, he told the magazine: "I hate to say it, but yes, I do. Yeah. I'd take it back in a second. For my family to be here and just be everybody okay, safe and sound and happy and normal, would have been fantastic. Heck, yeah. I'd erase it all in a second if I could."
A Disney insider told THR that both Miley and Billy Ray have been clear with the company about their desire to distance themselves from the Mouse House since Hannah Montana ended its five-year run in January.
“We saw it coming for a long time,” the Disney source says. “She wanted to mature herself, but it kind of backfired. Her future without Disney is TBD.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack