Biopic's debut at Cannes a surprise for Andreotti
Andreotti, the subject of Cannes' In Competition title "Il Divo," claimed Thursday that director Paolo Sorrentino promised to wait until after his death to release the film.
Sorrentino — twice nominated for Cannes' Palme d'Or — said Thursday there had been no agreement to release the film after Andreotti's death. The film will premiere next month in Cannes and then go into wide release in Italy the following week.
The 89-year-old Andreotti, famous for alleged ties to both the Mafia and the Vatican, is the last political leader in Italy elected to the country's first postwar parliament, in 1946. He remains one of the country's most influential figures.
When the project was announced last year, Andreotti first denied having met Sorrentino, and then backtracked, saying that the project was taking place without Andreotti's blessing.
On Thursday, Corriere della Sera carried an interview with Andreotti, who reportedly said: "Strange, I thought he said he would wait until my death."
Andreotti said he had not seen a preview of the film but that he will go to a public cinema to watch it once it was released.