BitTorrent Partners With Cinedigm to Promote 'Arthur Newman'
The company, famous for technology popular among Internet pirates, teams with the film distributor in a bid for legitimacy.
In a partnership that is sure to make many in Hollywood uneasy, BitTorrent Inc. -- the company behind the digital file-sharing technology that has been put to illegal use by Internet pirates -- is pairing with Cinedigm to promote Arthur Newman, an upcoming romantic comedy starring Colin Firth and Emily Blunt.
"Utilizing the BitTorrent suite of software products," reads an upbeat press release, "Cinedigm will invite fans to view – exclusively -- the first seven minutes of the film prior to its theatrical release. Additional materials will include stills from the film, the official one sheet and the film trailer."
The arrangement is a calculated one for the San Francisco-based technology company, a fact that it openly acknowledges.
“This is a visionary move by Cinedigm and represents a significant shift in how the media industry perceives BitTorrent,” says Shahi Ghanem, Chief Strategy Officer of BitTorrent, Inc. “Cinedigm is leading a renaissance in indie content distribution and BitTorrent is a great fit as a technology partner.
Arthur Newman opens on April 26.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kim Kardashian's Nuptials to Kanye West Could Be the Wedding of the Century!
- Miranda Kerr Will Chop Off Her Long Hair One Day, Be Prepared!
- Katie Holmes Shows Star Power Right Before Tribeca Film Festival Kicks Off!
- Ryan Lochte & Ireland Baldwin Are Proud American Icons for Calvin Klein White Label's Campaign!