'Blind Side' tops home video charts
Sandra Bullock film sells nearly 3 million units in first week
"The Blind Side," the film that landed Sandra Bullock her first best actress Oscar, was the country's No. 1 home video seller and renter its first week in stores.
The drama about a homeless boy who becomes a football hero grossed $255.2 million in theaters and was nominated for best picture.
"Blind Side" sold through to U.S. consumers nearly 3 million units its first week in stores, according to Home Media Magazine market research estimates. "New Moon," the second film in the "Twilight" saga, finished its second week in stores at No. 2 on both the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert sales chart and Home Media Magazine's rental chart.
Demand for the Summit Entertainment release held strong. After debuting at No. 1 on the sales chart the previous week, "New Moon" still managed to sell 86% as many units as "Blind Side." And the film's rental activity slipped just 9% from the previous week, a drop so modest that the film remained at No. 2.
Walt Disney Studios also scored big with the Blu-ray Disc debuts of its two "Toy Story" movies. Powered by Blu-ray sales only, "Toy Story" debuted at No. 1 on the Nielsen VideoScan Blu-ray Disc chart, with "Toy Story 2" bowing at No. 3. The No. 2 spot went to "Blind Side," even though the film generated just 16% of its total first-week sales tally from Blu-ray.
"Toy Story" debuted at No. 4 on the overall sales chart, while "Toy Story 2" came in at No. 5.
Three other new theatrical features also came to DVD and Blu-ray Disc last week. Anchor Bay's "The Men Who Stare at Goats," which earned $32.4 million in theaters, debuted at No. 6 on the sales chart and No. 3 on the rental chart. Lionsgate's "Brothers" ($28.5 million) bowed as the week's No. 7 seller and No. 4 renter. And 20th Century Fox's animated "Fantastic Mr. Fox" ($21 million) entered the sales chart at No. 8 and the rental chart at No. 13.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera