Bob Dylan Awarded Medal of Freedom, the Nation's Highest Civilian Honor
President Obama made the announcement recognizing 13 "individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors."
Bob Dylan has been awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the highest honor bestowed upon a United States civilian. The singer-songwriter was one of 13 recipients announced by President Obama on Thursday.
The Medal of Freedom recognizes “individuals who have made especially meritorious contributions to the security or national interests of the United States, to world peace, or to cultural or other significant public or private endeavors,” said a press release issued by the White House. The awards will be presented there in late spring.
Other recipents include John Glenn, Madeline Albright, Israeli Prime Minister Shimon Peres and novelist Toni Morrison. Dylan is hailed as “one of the most influential American musicians of the 20th century.”
“These extraordinary honorees come from different backgrounds and different walks of life, but each of them has made a lasting contribution to the life of our nation," Obama said. "They’ve challenged us, they’ve inspired us, and they’ve made the world a better place. I look forward to recognizing them with this award.”
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama