Bob Seger, Gordon Lightfoot Inducted Into Songwriters Hall of Fame
Jim Steinman, Don Schlitz and Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones will become the newest members.
The men behind "Against the Wind," "The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald" and "Paradise By the Dashboard Light" are heading into the Songwriters Hall of Fame. Bob Seger, Gordon Lightfoot and Jim Steinman, as well as Don Schlitz and the musical-writing duo Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones will become the newest members at a star-studded gala on June 14 in NYC.
"Each of our 2012 inductees has created a unique range of extraordinary contributions, a body of work that has resonated with audiences around the world, and greatly enriched our global culture," said chairman Jimmy Webb. "We are looking forward to celebrating their craft and careers at our Annual Awards Gala."
Seger's musical output over the years has yielded some of the biggest hits in American rock, including "Turn the Page," Night Moves," "Katmandu" and "Rock and Roll Never Forgets." Seger and his Silver Bullet Band have sold more than 51 million records worldwide and the Grammy winner (1981 for "Against the Wind") was inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.
Lightfoot's folk-pop hits include "Early Morning Rain," "Sundown" and "If You Could Read My Mind." He is already a member of the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Steinman is best known for composing every song off of Meat Loaf's 1977 album "Bat Out of Hell" album, as well as writing and producing the 1993 followup "Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell."
Country songwriter Schlitz's resume includes Kenny Rogers' "The Gambler," Randy Travis' "Forever and Ever, Amen" and Alison Krauss' "When You Say Nothing at All." Composer Schmidt and lyricist Jones are responsible for The Fantasticks, the longest running musical in history at 42 years.
The ceremony will take place June 14 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama
- 'X-Men' Director Bryan Singer Accused of Sexually Abusing Underage Boy
- Jennifer Lopez is a Sexy Slice of Orange on 'American Idol'!
- Mila Kunis & Olivia Wilde Take Us on an Emotional Roller Coaster in 'Third Person' Trailer - Watch Now!
- Justin Bieber Makes Time to Show His Gratitude To Fans in Beverly Hills!