'Bodyguard' Sets Bollywood Box Office Record
Reliance Entertainment release nets highest opening day collection at over $4.5 million.
NEW DELHI – Bodyguard, starring superstar Salman Khan and actress Kareena Kapoor, has set a box office record netting the highest opening day take ever crossing 200 million rupees ($4.5 million).
A remake of a hit south Indian film directed by Siddique, the action-romantic caper was specially released on Wednesday timed with the festive Eid holiday extending into a long weekend.
With an estimated budget of 600 million, Bodyguard has been produced by Reel Life (a banner owned by Khan's brother-in-law Atul Agnihotri) with the film acquired by Reliance, which released it with 2,600 prints in India and another 325 in overseas markets.
Bodyguard further reinforces Khan's position as a top box-office draw following his 2010 release Dabangg, which collected 145 million rupees on its opening day. India's most commercially succcesful film so far, 2009's 3 Idiots starring superstar Aamir Khan (which went on to gross $100 million worldwide) took in 130 million rupees on its opening day, a figure matched by Salman Khan's earlier release this year, Ready.
Given its strong opening, Bodyguard is expected to match the first-week take of 3 Idiots (800 million rupees) and Dabangg (810 million rupees) with overseas diaspora audiences also contributing to the film's worldwide take.
The son of veteran scriptwriter Saleem Khan, the 45-year-old Khan is currently in the U.S. for medical treatment for a nerve disorder. With a career spanning over two decades, Khan's upcoming releases include Ek Tha Tiger (Once There Was A Tiger) in which he co-stars with top actress Katrina Kaif.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"