Bollywood Actress Jiah Khan Dies at 25
The American-born aspiring screen star died of an apparent suicide, although no note has been found.
Bollywood actress Jiah Khan was found dead late Monday in her apartment in Mumbai. The actress was discovered by her mother and appeared to have hung herself, according to local media reports. No suicide note has been uncovered. Khan was 25.
Born Nafisa Khan, the actress made her Bollywood debut in 2007 starring opposite Amitabh Bachchan in the film Nishabd, which was loosely based on Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita and generated some controversy. She also appeared in Ghajini with Aamir Khan. Her last role was in Housefull (2010) opposite Akshay Kumar.
"Nafisa Khan, who is known as Jiah Khan, was found hanging by her mother at around 10:45 p.m. India time at her residence on the first floor of Sagar Sangeet [her apartment building]," local deputy commissioner of police Chhering Dorje said in a statement.
"Her body has been taken to the hospital, where a postmortem will be conducted to find the cause of her death," he added.
Khan was born in New York and grew up in London before moving to India to pursue a film career.
Tanuj Garg, the CEO of Balaji Motion Pictures and a friend of Khan's, told the Times of India, "We knew each other socially and often discussed our London connection. She was a soft-spoken, sweet and a pleasant individual. Truly shocked at the news."
Her one-time co-star Bachchan tweeted: "WHAT...!!! Jiah Khan??? what has happened? is this correct? unbelievable!!!"
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)