Bona Film Group Acquires Imax Screen in China
The deal for a theater in a Tianjin cineplex follows the giant screen exhibitor screening the Chinese producer's "Flying Swords of Dragon Gate" in 3D.
TORONTO – Imax has another theater in China, and its first with the Bona Film Group.
Subsidiary Nongken Bona Film Investment has inked a deal with the Toronto-based giant screen exhibitor for a digital screen to be located in the Nongken Bona International Cineplex in Tianjin, China.
The theater, to open in September, follows Imax screening Bona Film Group's 3D martial arts epic Flying Swords of Dragon Gate on its screens, and setting an Imax Chinese exhibition record.
"With the incredible success of Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, we have first-hand experience with Imax's ability to transform the movie-going experience, making audiences believe that they're a part of the film," Dong Yu, founder and CEO of Bona Film Group, said of his latest agreement with Imax for the Tianjin theater.
Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, directed by Tsui Hark and released in China in December 2011, became the fourth-highest-grossing Chinese-language film ever, and the highest-grossing Chinese title digitally remastered into the Imax format.
Indomina Releasing will release Flying Swords of Dragon Gate in select Imax theaters for a limited run across North America in September 2012.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Third Person' Trailer Shows Mila Kunis, Olivia Wilde, Liam Neeson Feeling Everything
- AMC's Hit Reality Show 'Small Town Security' Is Back For Season 3
- Bride Gives Groom 'Ghostbusters' Cake, Proves That She's A Keeper
- Ted Neeley, Original 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' Hopes Pope Francis Will Come To The Musical