Bonnaroo 2011: 10 Things Seen & Heard Friday
Acts like Arcade Fire, Lil Wayne and Big Boi entertain festival-goers including "American Idol's" David Archuleta and Ron Jeremy.
Bonnaroo 2011 kicked into high gear on Friday with a full day of performances on the hot and dusty Manchester, TN grounds. 65 diverse artists, ranging from indie-rock darlings (Arcade Fire, the Decemberists) to hip-hop heavyweights (Lil Wayne, Big Boi) to electronic-music mavens (Ratatat, Pretty Lights) kep the party going until the wee hours. Here's 10 highlights from the festival's second day:
1. Arcade Fire singer Win Butler took time to praise Bonnaroo's diversity during their headlining slot. "Any festival where you can see My Morning Jacket and Lil Wayne is okay with me," he told the crowd.
2. As the rest of the band took the stage to begin Florence + the Machine's set, singer Florence Welch held backstage for 45 seconds, sipping on water and hearing the crowd chant her name. When she did emerge, press photographers treated her like a 1950s movie star, with dozens of snapshots taken before she walked onstage to wild cheers and began singing "Howl."
3. "American Idol" star David Archuleta was spotted wandering around the press area mid-afternoon. The singer said that he hadn't initially planned the festival visit, he was popping by for the day, and that he was most excited to see Ray LaMontagne, the Decemberists and Florence + the Machine.
4. Early in his set, Big Boi started taking requests for the many "hit records" he had amassed as a solo artist and member of Outkast. After tons of shouted submissions, the rapper ended up on "Ms. Jackson."
5. Hours after her early afternoon set, Jessica Lee Mayfield said that she couldn't wait to get home, take a shower and see "her baby," which was a green 1999 mustang. She showed off multiple pictures of the car on her phone like a proud parent.
6. Lil Wayne's late night set was a pretty standard run through his I Am Still Music tour set, although he did play Carter IV tracks like "How To Love" and "Drive."
7. After Grace Potter and the Nocturnals tore through "Paris (Ooh La La)," the frontwoman headed to the side of the stage, took a swig of water and quickly shook hands with veteran porn star Ron Jeremy, who was watching admiringly from the side.
8. Most creative crowd control of the day: Atmosphere, who made sure everyone in the crowd made "some noise for the person standing next to you." Awkward yet congenial claps followed.
9. NOFX leader Fat Mike was pounding vodka backstage before the group's evening set. The punk group's backstage area was also stocked full of gummy bears.
10. Bonnaroo showcased many nemorable fan costumes, but the most head-scratching was the guy dressed as deadmau5, complete with glittery body and disco ball head. An interesting display of fandom, considering that the Canadian dance producer isn't even playing Bonnaroo this year.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR