Boston Bombing: Rupert Murdoch Defends N.Y. Post's Coverage
The News Corp. mogul says a front-page photo of two innocent men was "distributed by FBI" and "instantly withdrawn" after they were cleared of wrongdoing.
News Corp. chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch has responded to harsh critics of his tabloid the New York Post's erroneous -- and many call irresponsible -- coverage of the Boston bombings.
Hours after Monday's horrific twin bombings, the Post claimed the terrorist act had claimed 12 lives and that a "Saudi national" was in custody. The facts remained on the Post's website for hours after they had been proved wrong.
STORY: News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch: Anatomy of a Crazy Twitter Spree
But the tabloid's biggest misstep was yet to come: Thursday's edition featured a front-page color photo of two innocent men, one a 17-year-old Moroccan track athlete, under the headline, "Bag Men: Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon." The story was deemed "reckless and appalling" by the Columbia Journalism Review, a sentiment echoed by much of the media world.
"All NYPost pics were those distributed by FBI. And instantly withdrawn when FBI changed directions," the 82-year-old media mogul tweeted Saturday morning, 48 hours after the edition, which has a circulation of 520,000, landed on newsstands.
Murdoch's stance echoes that of Post editor in chief Col Allan, who on Thursday issued a statement defending his choice.
"We stand by our story," Allan said. "The image was e-mailed to law enforcement agencies yesterday afternoon seeking information about these men, as our story reported. We did not identify them as suspects."
THR's Daily Must Feeds
-
Gwyneth Paltrow: People's 'Most Beautiful' 2013
-
Real Life 'Bling Ring' Member Slams Emma Watson Movie
-
Cannes Jury: Nicole Kidman And Ang Lee Join Star-Studded Panel
-
Dana Carvey & Mike Myers: 'Wayne's World' Reunion
-
Jim Toth: Back to Work After DUI Arrest
-
Rihanna: Ten Billboard Music Award Nominations
-
Zach Braff Is Kickstarting His 'Garden State' Follow-up
-
Jon Hamm Will Host the ESPYs
In This Week's Magazine
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 1
CBS Renews 'Two and Half Men'; Angus T. Jones to Recur
- 2
Zach Braff's Kickstarter Project Hits $2 Million Goal
- 3
'House of Nerds': Kevin Spacey, John McCain Spoof Netflix Series (Video)
- 4
Box Office Report: 'Pain & Gain' Tops Friday, Eyeing $20.5 Million Weekend
- 5
White House Correspondents' Dinner: Where the Stars Are Sitting
- 6
Nicki Minaj Makes Film Debut in Cameron Diaz's 'The Other Woman'
- 7
Iron Man 3: Film Review
- 8
'Fashion Police' Writer Standoff Takes Toll on Drag Queen
- 9
White House Correspondents' Dinner: Live Stream the Event (Video)
- 10
White House Correspondents' Dinner: Hollywood Descends Upon D.C.



