Box Office Report: 'Amazing Spider-Man' Earns $7.5 Million in Monday Midnight Runs
The Sony reboot starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone performed on par with "Spider-Man 3," "Iron Man 2" and the latest "Star Trek."
Sony's The Amazing Spider-Man grossed $7.5 million in Monday midnight runs, the second-best showing of the summer behind superhero tentpole The Avengers.
Spider-Man, hoping to reboot the marquee franchise, did especially big business in Imax midnight runs as fanboys rushed to see the film in their favorite format. Of the $7.5 million, Imax brought in $1.2 million from 300 screens for a location average of $4,000.
Sony was pleased that Spider-Man, starring Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone, matched the midnight earnings of Spider-Man 3, which debuted over the May 4-6 weekend in 2007. The threequel debuted to $151.1 million, then the highest three-day opening of all time.
"It's a great handoff," noted one Sony insider.
Directed by Marc Webb, Spider-Man likewise performed in line with Iron Man 2, the first Twilight film and the latest Star Trek in terms of its midnight gross, boding a strong opening for the Sony pic.
Bullish box-office observers believe Spider-Man could debut well north of $120 million over the July 4th holiday stretch, though Sony has been playing it safe and calling for a six-day debut in the $110 million to $120 million range.
Imax notes that the midnight performance of Spider-Man is in line with the turnout for box-office hits The Hunger Games and the Twilight films and that many shows were sold out.
In early May, Avengers grossed a whopping $18.5 million in midnight runs, one of the best showings of all time.
Spider-Man already has earned north of $50 million overseas, where it opened in select territories last weekend.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack