Box Office Report: 'Dark Knight Rises' Breaks Records in France; Crosses $300 Mil Worldwide
The superhero tentpole scores the biggest opening day of the year in France, where it grossed $2.7 million including previews.
Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises has jumped the $300 million mark at the worldwide box office in less than a week -- despite the tragic theater shooting in Aurora, Colo.
On Wednesday, Dark Knight Rises got off to a stellar start in France, grossing $2.7 million to score the best opening day of the year (the figure includes previews), according to early estimates.
The superhero tentpole, opening in North America and 17 foreign markets last weekend, is making a major international push this week as it rolls out in an an additional 40 countries. On Thursday, it opens in Germany and Russia, followed by numerous other territories on Friday.
Through Tuesday, the movie's domestic gross was just north of $198 million, slightly behind The Dark Knight, which had earned $203.8 million. Overseas, it has earned an outstanding $110 million.
Dark Knight Rises debuted to $160.9 million domestically, the third-best debut of all time and the best ever for a 2D title. Still, box-office insiders say the tentpole likely lost $10 million to $20 million because of the massacre.
Like exhibitors in the U.S., foreign theater circuits are ramping up security in the wake of last Friday's shooting, which left at least a dozen people dead and 58 injured.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)