Box Office Report: 'Dark Shadows' Earns OK $550,000 in Midnight Runs
UPDATED: Tim Burton's campy take on the classic TV soap opera has little chance of toppling holdover "The Avengers," which crossed the $800 million mark on Thursday.
Warner Bros.' Dark Shadows earned $550,000 as it rolled out in more than 1,600 midnight runs, an OK number for a female-driven pic.
Tim Burton's campy adaptation of the 1966-71 daytime soap also is making a major push overseas this weekend, where the movie -- headlining Johnny Depp as the vampire Barnabas Collins -- opens in virtually every major market except Japan.
Dark Shadows has tough competition in holdover The Avengers, which is all but assured of winning the domestic box-office race in its second weekend. On Thursday, Disney and Marvel Studios' superhero pic jumped the $800 million mark at the worldwide box office, and could hit $1 billion by Sunday.
For the weekend, projections show Avengers grossing $75 million to $100 million at the domestic box office, while Dark Shadows is expected to gross $35 million to $40 million.
Overseas, Dark Shadows could beat Avengers in certain territories but might not be able to match Avengers' overall weekend international gross. Burton's film got off to a strong start Wednesday in France, grossing roughly $770,000 to beat Avengers on its third Wednesday.
Produced for $100 million, Dark Shadows is tracking best among women, though interest has picked up among men in recent days. The film also stars Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter, Eva Green and Chloe Grace Moretz.
Warners believes the film will have strong legs, since the other May tentpoles are more male-driven, including Universal's Battleship, which opens May 18.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Aerosmith's 'Dream On' Performed To Honor Boston Marathon Victims And Survivors (VIDEO)
- Bryan Singer Accused Of Sexually Assaulting Underage Boy
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"