Box Office: 'Despicable Me 2' Opens Strong in China, Heads for $935.1 Million Globally
The sequel scores the best opening-day gross for an animated film since "Ice Age: Continental Drift" in 2012.
The minions have invaded China.
On Friday, Universal and Illumination Entertainment's Despicable Me 2 took in $4 million as it landed at the Chinese box office, easily coming in No. 1.
It's the best opening-day gross for an animated film since Ice Age: Continental Drift in 2012 and is especially impressive considering the first Despicable Me wasn't released in China.
Despicable 2 is expected to earn $13.8 million for the weekend in China, pushing its worldwide total to $935.1 million, the fourth-best showing of all time for an animated film.
Internationally, the film will have earned $567.1 million by Sunday, eclipsing Finding Nemo ($555.9 million) and The Lion King ($564.7 million).
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR