Fandango Sold 17 'Hunger Games' Tickets Per Second at Peak Periods on Opening Day
The company says the film claimed its single day sales record and mobile sales record, as well as its highest share of a movie’s opening weekend.
Fandango sold 22% of opening weekend tickets for The Hunger Games, which the company said marks the largest share of sales for any movie opening in the company’s history. The wildly anticipated film earned an estimated $155 million this weekend in the domestic box office.
Fandango, the NBC Universal subsidiary that sells movie tickets online and via phone, also reported that during the weekend’s peak ticket-selling periods, it was selling 17 Hunger Games tickets per second, leading to the company’s top-selling mobile weekend and top-selling single day (March 23) for a movie.
Rounding out Fandango’s list of top five shares of opening weekends, following Hunger Games, are Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (19%), The Twilight Saga: New Moon (18%), Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (17%), and Sex and the City (16%).
According to a Fandango online survey of moviegoers, 62% of Hunger Games fans plan to see the movie more than once in the theater. As of Sunday morning at 9 a.m. PT, the film still accounts for 90% of all daily tickets sold on Fandango.
In related news, last week Fandango and Yahoo! announced an agreement making Fandango the online and mobile movie ticketer for Yahoo! Movies.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR