Box Office: 'Hobbit 2' Opens to Huge $32.7 Million in China
Peter Jackson's tentpole scores the biggest three-day opening of all time for a Warner Bros. title.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is an instant hit in China, where it posted a stellar debut of $32.7 million from roughly 5,500 screens.
Peter Jackson's tentpole marks the biggest three-day opening of all time for a Warner Bros. title, and exceeded the debut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by 74 percent.
All told, Desolation of Smaug has now earned $637.1 million internationally, pushing its global gross to $893.7 million. The only market left in which the movie has yet to open is Japan.
Desolation of Smaug did huge business in Imax theaters in China, with $4.4 million. It's the biggest opening ever for a Hollywood title, surpassing the $4.3 million debut of Gravity.
It is a race to see whether Desolation of Smaug will ultimately match the $1.01 billion earned by An Unexpected Journey, including $49.7 million in China.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!