Box Office: 'Hobbit 2' Opens to Huge $32.7 Million in China
Peter Jackson's tentpole scores the biggest three-day opening of all time for a Warner Bros. title.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is an instant hit in China, where it posted a stellar debut of $32.7 million from roughly 5,500 screens.
Peter Jackson's tentpole marks the biggest three-day opening of all time for a Warner Bros. title, and exceeded the debut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by 74 percent.
All told, Desolation of Smaug has now earned $637.1 million internationally, pushing its global gross to $893.7 million. The only market left in which the movie has yet to open is Japan.
Desolation of Smaug did huge business in Imax theaters in China, with $4.4 million. It's the biggest opening ever for a Hollywood title, surpassing the $4.3 million debut of Gravity.
It is a race to see whether Desolation of Smaug will ultimately match the $1.01 billion earned by An Unexpected Journey, including $49.7 million in China.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game