Box Office: Lithuanian Ticket Sales Up 10 Percent to $18M in 2013
Hollywood movies account for 70 percent of business with local fare pulling in 16 percent of admissions.
Box-office grosses in the Baltic state of Lithuania topped $18 million (13.1 million Euros) last year, up 10 percent from 2012's grosses.
Attendances were up 236,000 to 3.2 million year on year, representing slightly more than one visit for every citizen of the country, which has a population of just under three million and is one of the smallest movie markets in the European Union
The market share for local language features resumed its growth after a series of what the newly established Lithuanian Film Center termed "slow years" with 11 domestic feature premieres in 2013 compared with four the year before, two in 2011 and four in 2010.
Hollywood movies, like in many territories in Europe and worldwide, continued to grab the lion's share of the market, accounting for just under 70 percent of ticket sales or 2.1 million admissions. Local language fare took second place with 16 percent or 510,000 admissions, earning $2.7 million. That was a major improvement on local films' market share of just 2.5 percent in 2012 when Lithuanian-made movies earned just under $298,000 at the local box office.
Lithuanian-made box office hits included Valentine Alone ($1 million or 190,000 admissions) and How to Steal a Wife ($340,000 or 57,000 admissions), both films directed by Donatas Ulvydas, and Woman Lie Better: Kristina ($620,000 or 108,000 admissions) by Alvydas Slepikas.
This year Lithuania introduced tax incentives of as much as 20 percent to attract international productions to a country rich in historic locations that are rarely seen in movies beyond local productions.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game