Box Office Milestone: 'The Avengers' Becomes No. 3 Pic of All Time With $1.331 Billion
The Disney and Marvel Studios superhero extravaganza surpasses "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2."
A month in, Joss Whedon's The Avengers continues to make box office history.
On Friday, the Disney and Marvel Studios' tentpole surpassed Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 to become the third-biggest tile of all time at the worldwide box office with a cume of $1.331 billion.
The final Harry Potter film, released in July 2011, earned $1.328 billion.
Avengers will rest at No. 3. Avatar remains the No. 1 title of all time with a worldwide gross of $2.8 billion, while Titanic is safe at No. 2 ($1.8 billion). Both those films are from James Cameron.
Avengers also shattered another record domestically on Friday, surpassing The Dark Knight to become the third top grossing film of all time with a cume of $538.1 million. Dark Knight earned $533 million domestically.
Internationally, Avengers has now earned $793.2 million, the fifth-best showing of all time.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR