Box Office Milestone: 'Iron Man 3' Hits $1 Billion Worldwide
The Disney and Marvel Studios tentpole also jumps the $300 million mark at the domestic box office.
Taking only 22 days, Shane Black's Iron Man 3 hit $1 billion in worldwide ticket sales on Thursday to claim No. 16 on the list of all-time highest-grossing films.
In addition, Iron Man 3 crossed the $300 million mark at the domestic box office on Wednesday.
The Disney and Marvel Studios tentpole has earned $698.9 million internationally and $301.9 million in North America.
In terms of global standing, Iron Man 3 has now surpassed Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End ($963 million), Jurassic Park ($967 million) and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone ($975 million).
After North America, Iron Man 3 has taken in the most in China ($104 million), followed by Korea ($55.6 million), U.K. ($49.7 million), Mexico ($43.6 million) and Russia ($40.2 million).
Iron Man 3 faces competition this weekend in North America and select territories from Star Trek Into Darkness, which opens Thursday domestically. And on Wednesday, Baz Luhrmann's The Great Gatsby narrowly edged past Iron Man 3 ($3.9 million versus $3.5 million) to top the domestic chart. Gatsby has earned $63.3 million in its first six days.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)