Box Office Milestone: 'Lee Daniels' The Butler' Hits $100 Million
UPDATED: The filmmaker becomes one of only a handful of black directors to have a movie hit this mark in the U.S.
Lee Daniels' The Butler has served up another victory.
The independent historical drama -- headlining Forest Whitaker and Oprah Winfrey -- took in $5.4 million in its fifth weekend for The Weinstein Co., pushing the movie's North American total to a stellar $100 million.
Daniels becomes one of only a handful of black directors to have a film clear that mark, not accounting for inflation.
One reason for The Butler's success is that it is playing to all audiences, according to Harvey Weinstein's team. On opening weekend, 52 percent of ticket buyers were black; now, 67 percent of the audience is white. The Butler is also becoming a family play.
The Butler opened in mid-August, hoping to mirror the success of The Help, another civil-rights themed drama. The Butler isn't likely to match The Help's lifetime domestic gross of $169.7 million, but The Help was different in featuring both black and white lead actors.
In the film, Whitaker plays a White House butler who serves through eight presidential administrations, a character inspired by the real-life story of the late Eugene Allen.
Winfrey, who plays the butler's wife, has provided an enormous marketing boost for the movie because of her avid fanbase. The Butler already is considered an awards contender, particularly for Whitaker and Winfrey's performances.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)