Box Office Milestone: 'Les Miserables' Crosses $400 Million Worldwide
The film is the No. 2 big-screen musical of all time after fellow Universal title "Mamma Mia!"
Tom Hooper's Les Miserables may not have won the Oscar for best picture -- Anne Hathaway did win for best supporting actress -- but it continues to revel in its box-office success.
Universal and Working Title's film adaptation of the classic stage musical has crossed the $400 million mark at the global box office, taking in $254.4 million internationally and $147 million in North America for total ticket sales of $401.4 million.
Les Mis is the No. 2 film musical of all time behind fellow Universal pic Mamma Mia!, which took in $605.8 million in 2008.
Universal still has seven territories in which to open Les Mis.
In addition to Hathaway's win, Les Mis won the Oscar for best sound mixing and the Oscar for best makeup at the Feb. 24 Academy Awards ceremony.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR