Box-Office Milestone: 'Thor: The Dark World' Thunders Past $500 Million Globally
The sequel marks another jewel in the crown for Marvel's "Avengers" film franchise.
Further boosted by a strong run in China, Thor: The Dark World has muscled its way past the $500 million mark in global ticket sales.
The sequel underscores the superhero-like strength of Disney and Marvel Studios' Avengers films franchise, and marks the third Disney title this year to cross $500 million after Iron Man 3 and Pixar's Monsters University.
Thor 2, returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role, has already surpassed the lifetime runs of Captain America ($371 million) and the first Thor ($449 million).
Domestically, Thor 2 has earned $151 million to date and $352.2 million overseas. China leads with $46.1 million, followed by Russia ($33.6 million), the U.K. ($28.3 million), Brazil ($22.2 million) and Mexico ($20.9 million).
The 3D tentpole will face serious competition this weekend as Lionsgate's The Hunger Games: Catching Fire launches around the globe.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws