Box-Office Milestone: 'Thor: The Dark World' Thunders Past $500 Million Globally
The sequel marks another jewel in the crown for Marvel's "Avengers" film franchise.
Further boosted by a strong run in China, Thor: The Dark World has muscled its way past the $500 million mark in global ticket sales.
The sequel underscores the superhero-like strength of Disney and Marvel Studios' Avengers films franchise, and marks the third Disney title this year to cross $500 million after Iron Man 3 and Pixar's Monsters University.
Thor 2, returning Chris Hemsworth in the title role, has already surpassed the lifetime runs of Captain America ($371 million) and the first Thor ($449 million).
Domestically, Thor 2 has earned $151 million to date and $352.2 million overseas. China leads with $46.1 million, followed by Russia ($33.6 million), the U.K. ($28.3 million), Brazil ($22.2 million) and Mexico ($20.9 million).
The 3D tentpole will face serious competition this weekend as Lionsgate's The Hunger Games: Catching Fire launches around the globe.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama