Box Office Milestone: 'Thor: The Dark World' Crosses $600 Million Globally
The Chris Hemsworth-starring sequel is the third Disney release to hit the milestone in 2013.
Disney and Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World has thundered past the $600 million mark at the global box office, Disney announced Friday.
The Chris Hemsworth-starring sequel is the third Disney release (following Marvel’s Iron Man 3 and Pixar's Monsters University) to hit the milestone this year.
The superhero sequel was instrumental in helping Disney break its previous global box-office record of $3.791 billion (set in 2010) in November.
Thor: The Dark World has already surpassed the total global box-office grosses for other Marvel pics Iron Man ($585 million), Thor ($449 million) and Captain America ($371 million).
Some of the pic's top-grossing foreign markets include China, Russia, the U.K. and Mexico. The film, which is still playing in wide release in the U.S. and around the world, will open in Japan on Feb. 1.
Domestically, The Dark World, which also stars Tom Hiddleston and Natalie Portman, has earned north of $188 million. It opened in theaters in the U.S. on Nov. 8, earning $85.7 million in its first weekend.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!